Omnipedia: Dorian Hwan
(Hwan Yong-Jin 환용진)
Dorian Hwan is a medical doctor and powerful healing mage, as well as being the superhero called Hearth. Hwan was a biology major at SUNY-Empire before attending Medical School at the (then) Mount Sinai School of Medicine during the Skyquake. Though he was able to help evacuate civilians, he was caught in the backlash and placed in a where he was an apprentice and mage studying at the Nightblossom Reef Academy of Healing Witchcraft and Medical Arts, where he mastered healing techniques and magic, before emerging from the fractal timeline and joining with his friends in the Pentad of Guardians.. While a medical student, Hwan ended up rushing into at the start of the
Powers and Skills
When Dorian and his friends evacuated the Skyquake, they were caught in one of the experiment’s aftershocks, which caused reality and the timeline to ‘fractalize,’ forming five temporary alternate histories, with each of the friends being caught in a different history. Dorian was caught in a ‘world that never was’ where magic, not technology, was the foundation of society. Dorian found himself a lifelong student at the Nightblossom Reef Academy of Healing Witchcraft and Medical Arts, where he had been left as a child. Working for years to master the arcane arts of knitting wounds, curing the sick, and protecting the innocent through wards and other protective magic, Dorian quickly rose to the top of his class, until he was ready to take his final oaths and dedicate himself to the Order and its beneficent calling. During this time, Dorian had no memory of his original life in .during the
Before he could take that step, however, Dorian remembered his friends and emerged from the fractal universe. He became the Red Pentad Point of the Pentad of Guardians, representing destruction – for ironically in healing the terminally ill and injured, Hearth destroyed the original violent intent that had left his patients in such a state. He and the rest of the Pentad were inherently aware that in some way they were destined to save the entire world, with Hearth serving the Pentad as the Heart and the Healer.
- Dorian, though he has a very dry wit, is known both for his sense of humor and his sometimes extensive and elaborate pranks. While they are never malicious, they are sometimes startlingly comprehensive.
- Dorian is one of the most handsome male presenting heroes. Even as he got older, his hair simply got light grey on the temples which only served to enhance his appearance.
- In a similar vein, Dorian’s hair is essentially always perfect.
- Dorian is proud of his Korean heritage, and uses the Korean language as a means of accenting his conversations (and being charming, which admittedly comes easy to him). However, Dorian has a poor command of Korean at best, and more than once has been caught out by an actual fluent Korean speaker.
- Dorian generally acknowledges his uniform is largely pink — he’s neither embarrassed nor ashamed, and he feels it flatters him quite well. He sometimes claims it’s ‘pale scarlet’ instead, but that’s generally another example of Dorian sending someone up a bit.
- Dorian’s active dating life has quieted over the years. When asked about this by Topaz, he has admitted he’s long past the point where he’s looking for a bit of fun and mutual pleasure, though he’s not certain he would even know how to find a serious relationship.
- Dorian hates cole slaw with a passion.
- Dorian is one of two partial counterparts (along with ) of Eric Burns-White’s “Masked Bruce” character from Superguy.
- Dorian is also part of an intentional subversion of the traditional ‘five-team’ especially as seen in certain eras of Anime. For a long time, a team would have a leader, a hothead, a funny strong guy, a kid or smart guy, and ‘the girl,’ who existed to be female, have emotions, be unreasonable, and force the guys to not suck quite so much. It’s not a coincidence that the Pentad of Guardians is made up of a female leader, a female hothead, a female funny strong person, a female smart person, and ‘the boy.’
References and Stories
- RTW Presents Meet The Pentad of Guardians!
- Justice Wing Excelsiors: Reaching Higher
- Justice Wing Excelsiors: Reorientation
- Justice Wing In Nadir: Transposition